Friday, June 26, 2009

~ Fractured Arm! ~

Has been really in a lousy mood for the past few days... Today is Denver's Birthday but I'll leave the details for tomorrow.

Hubby went on a business trip to Manila for a couple of days on Tuesday. I sent him off at the airport early in the morning and worry about his health and well being especially during this H1N1 viral period. I was glad that Hubby called back in the afternoon to report that he has reached his hotel safely and I set my heart down and packed my stuff ready to stay over at my inlaws place for the next few days.

The moment I step into the house, I saw Denver crying with a painful arm. Initially I thought it was only a minor injury but only to find out that its not very soon. He can't move his left arm and his elbow was swollen.... Sigh.. I believe he has broken it during the fall at the exercise area where he and the rest of the children were playing earlier.

I had a quick light dinner and Big Bil quickly sent us to KKH children's emergency department. Denver has been crying and complaining of the pain throughout the journey. I can't even touch him..Poor thing... :( I registered at the counter and went through the normal procedures... Denver was scared and crying when the assistant needs to take an x-ray of his left arm. I asked how was it and she said "Something is not right but it's not the worse I have seen. Let the doctor advise you".. :( When the doctor finally sees him, he showed me the x-ray and told me that his bone is broken (equivalent to fractured) and that they need to put Denver to sleep and twist his arm back and then cast his arm. I finally called Hubby to inform him about Denver's situation and I understand we were all worried and upset. What to do?

Again, it was another hour's wait before he went through another trauma - INJECTION. Due to his weight, they need to give him a higher dosage (i.e. 2 injections on both thighs) to make him sleep. Denver really can't bear the slightest pain and he was really crying and struggling when the nurse injected him. I have to hold him and calm him down before he finally knocks out in a couple of seconds.. His eyes were open as if he was looking at you.. but he is already sleeping. I waited outside and very soon he was being pushed out. (still in sleep with eyes open). Denver's left arm is now in bandage and Bbil and I have to wait for 1-2 hours for him to wake up before we can take him home.

While waiting, I updated Hubby, went to pay, setup appointment with the ortho next week and collected the medicine. Denver started to gain conscious and moved after 45mins later... he was in daze and eyes rolling around... I think he tries to get up but couldn't. We waited for another half an hour before the doctor checked and allows him to go home. Luckily bil was there to help carry him back.. By the time we reached inlaws' place was already mid-night. Gladys was asleep and so was Denver.

It was a loooong night and the next morning, Denver has a hard time getting up from bed. He started to feel pain and I have to help him up. It's working from home for the rest of the week.. Hubby is not around and I have to feed and bath Denver and taking care of his daily needs. To distract him of the pain, he played computer games and I let him exercise his fingers by playing the PSP. He was really moody and didn't smile... I took him to see the chinese doctor during lunch hours and they prescibed him to drink herbal soup to help build his bones back quicker. (田七,北齐, 软骨猪肉).

It was nightmare when I tried to bath Denver. He was sooooo upset when I just wanted to peel off the handiplast on his thighs where he had the injection. I believe he was traumatised and was so afraid that it was painful. Big Sil has to demostrate to him by sticking scotchtape on her arm and his cousins' arm to prove to him that it is not painful. Still he is not convinced... Really took us quite some time before he allows me to peel it off with no pain at all. Sighz.....Owen came to visit Denver that night to pass him the sling.. that was very nice of him as it was already very late and he took the cab down.. I felt a bit bad but was really glad to see him as it was more reassuring as I was worried for Denver's arm recovery since he really complain about the pain alot. That night Denver woke up a few times in the middle of the night because of the pain. I lost sleep and was having a headache the next morning.

However, it's comforting to see Denver feeling better on Day 2. At least he is smiling and the pain has reduce a little bit. Sometimes I feel that he looks like a Japanese boy.. always a cute boy in my heart.


The other happy news is Hubby is coming back tonight! Hubby bought the Ben10 Alien Force Creation chamber from Manila (which is slightly cheaper than in SG) as another present for Denver hoping to cheer him up. Denver cried the moment he sees Daddy... I guess he wants people to sayang him. There was presents for the children and me too! Hubby bought a necklace and earring set for me. So Sweet! I was surely glad that Hubby is back home safe and sound and we went back to our own house to rest for the night. Now I only hope that Denver's arm is recovering well...

It hasn't been a very good year for me and my family so far... I really hope good things will come along the way for the rest of the year.. Please spare me of my ordeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment