Tuesday, February 12, 2008

~ The day I lost my scent of smell ~


It was Chinese New Year eve... looking forward to the reunion dinner and long holiday weekend.. I am working half day from home and cleared all my work. Log off my computer at noon and start to do my last bit of spring cleaning. Vacuum and mop the floor, dust the cabinets, table and drawers... make prayers and then..... I realise.... I lost my ability to smell.... :(

I thought it was because of my blocked nose due to a heavy cold which I caught.. and it will recover soon... First time in my life I had such experience and I don't know what to do. Well... I told myself I can't dampen my New Year mood because of this.. I had a very smelless new year.. all food and chinese new year goodies are tasteless... No matter how smelly or fragrant the surrounding is... it is senseless to me..

2 days passed and still no improvement.. I went to a 24hr clinic on the 2nd day of Lunar New Year and the doctor said it was just due to a heavy cold.. Took his medicine which makes me super drowsy throughout the New Year... Not seeing any improvement, I consulted another family doctor on Sunday and he adviced it was due to a nose infection which should recover in a week or more as soon as the infection clears out. By now, I had bronchitis and need to be on inhaler... :(

The sad thing is because I am sick, Hubby cannot play mahjong which he used to do during the New Year. I am always so tired and short of breathe and unable to look after the kids. I guess there is nothing much I can do except to rest.

I must say I am kinda worried... from then till now, almost a week has past.. and still I can't smell a thing.. What if I really lost it forever? I just have to get ready for the worse I guess...

Anyway.. the good thing that happens to me was I lost weight... about 3kg.. Main reason is because I did not eat a lot. All food does not smell tasty... I can only sense the sweet, bitter, salty and not the scent of it. My mum made my favourite "Wu Xiang" on Sunday and asked me to go home for lunch. Not knowing my condition, I have to act that it is super delicious.. Sad...
Well.. I have to be brave and look on the bright side. Who knows... maybe I will wake up one morning and start smelling again..

No comments:

Post a Comment