Friday, May 29, 2009

~ Cakes!! ~

It's a cake making week! My yogurt is expiring soon and hence I made a No-bake Chocolate Swirl Lemon Jelly Cheesecake this time. I was doing it in a rush and hence the end result its so-so. No chocolate effect as I added very little amount of chocs and the cheese and lemon is too over-whelming.


I made 2 steam cakes too - Steam Sponge Cake and Banana Cake

I followed the recipes from "cookbakelegacy" and "amandalwh" respectively and reduced the amount as I didn't want to make such a big portion since it's my first try.

Steam Sponge Cake
==============
250 gm top flour
250 gm caster sugar
2 tbsp milk powder
6 large eggs
60 gm corn oil

1) Sift flour and milk powder together.

2) Beat the eggs and sugar together till light pale in color and the ribbon stage. (If you lift the beaters up and do a figure of eight on the batter, the figure of 8 must be visible for about 3 secs. before disappearing).

As I was using a hand whisk, it took me really long before the Ribbon effect came out.

3) Gradually fold in the flour mixture and oil and batter till well mix using a spatula.


4) Pour batter into a 8" square baking pan lined with greaseproof paper and cover the top with aluminium foil.

5) Steam on high heat for 30 mins and check if skewer comes out clean.


The sponge cake is a bit dry.. I think maybe I didn't follow the measurements correctly when I halved it plus I accidentally put more milk powder. Still, the cake is fine. I guess not too bad for a first timer.

Steam Banana Cake
==============

Ingredients: (6 big muffins)
2 Eggs
100g sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed (200g)
150g Self-raising Flour
1/8 tsp Baking Soda
75g oil (any flavorless oil)

Steps:
1) Sift together self-raising flour and baking soda, set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl, whisk together Eggs and sugar till ribbon stage.
3) Mix in mashed bananas, beat till combine.
4) Gently fold in flour mixture and Oil, taking care not to deflate the eggs and sugar mixture.
5) Pour Batter into muffin pan, lined with muffin cups.
6) Steam over high heat for 15mins or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.


As I did not have baking soda at home, so I used Baking Powder instead. This time the Banana cake is soft. Not as dry as compared to the Sponge cake. Hubby said it is too sweet.. I'll probably reduce the amount of sugar next time if I'm making it again. Still I think it's not really his kind of cake. I guess my only audience is Denver as he will always eat the food/cake that I made so far. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment